Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Question about prostate cancer

question about prostate cancer?
my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer and was told he could get surgery is prostate cancer curable or just treated? what is the life expectancy? im really worried and my mother seems very depressed will the surgery cure it? thank u
Cancer - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
For all of your answers try this: www.prostatecancerfoundation.org/ If your mom is seriously depressed and it doesn't seem to be getting better, you might want to talk to a social worker at the hospital or some other health care professional about getting her help to deal with things.
2 :
Yes it can be cured. It is natural to be worried and depressed when a loved one has been diagnosed with cancer, but think positive as many men have survived prostate cancer.
3 :
Sorry to hear about your father. Prostate cancer is curable if caught early .The surgery will remove the gland and if it hasn't spread he can look forward to a long life. Sometime they use other treatments like radioactive seeds instead,but that will be up to the doctor and your Dad.
4 :
I am old enough to be your dad probably and the hard answer is - there is no "cure" for cancer. It can be held in check and treated, removed, etc. and possibly it will never come back. It's just that the word "cure" isn't used. If your dad is having surgery for it I bet things will go at least as well as they have for me. I was operated on over four years ago and up til now there has been no sign of it coming back. I follow my doctor's orders and get tested every six months with a simple blood test called a PSA and like I said, so far so good. Your parents and probably even you are naturally going to worry and believe me, it is perfectly okay! As far as life expectancy? I hope to live out my normal life and I'm doing my best to do just that. Keep your chin up and be there to help your dad AND your mom get through this hard time. Best of luck to all of you and I'll say a prayer for y'all tonight.
5 :
Yes. The surgery can be effective. However, the prostrate can be treated in early stages. Good Luck
6 :
A lot depends on what stage the cancer is in. I suggest you google Loma Linda Proton and read the information about Loma Linda University Medical Center. I'm in Loma Linda now receiving treatment and it is a wonderful hospital. My feeling is that Proton radiation is a lot better than surgery in most cases.







  Read more discussions :