Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Did you survive prostate cancer

Did you survive prostate cancer?
Will you share your story with me please? When it was detected, the treatment you chose, the side effects you had, and how long ago this happened? My father in law was just diagnosed with prostate cancer and he is choosing NOT to have treatment. I would like to give him something to think about and try to convince him to get treatment. I have already given him a book on how to beat prostate cancer, and he has talked to a couple men that went through it, but I don't think it was enough. Thank you and congratulations for beating it.
Cancer - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
ca .pr.is very easy to be treated u have to know that man dies with ca. pr. but not from it
2 :
i know of lots of men since the 80s who have been cured from this easily treated form of cancer.he must go for it,if he leaves it ,it will soon spread
3 :
I did not, being a woman. BUT my dad did. :) They caught it fairly early. At 66 he went through aggressive treatment radiation and chemo. He wanted to live. Full treatment, full side effects... He HID from us and got the treatment out of state to weather it alone, BUT I didn't care, he was FIGHTING IT. I am so freakin proud of him I could CRY happy tears.. He did it. HE DID IT... Win or lose he is MY HERO.. He did it for him and he did it for us. You know there is not a lot of things you can convince the old folks to do, they believe when it's cancer its a death sentence, OR their modesty over their body, or like living on a farm, when they get sick just put them down. I hope you do convince him to try but if you can't don't make it a big deal. Just DEAL with HIS decision. Sounds like he already accepted his death sentence. God I love my dad for his courage. And that he is STILL with me 5 years later doing whatever it took, taking the challenge to fight. :) AWESOME. My grandmother got cancer, and knew she had a lump for 3 years tILL my GRANDPA saw it.. And forced her to go to the doctor. But it was too late. Old folks are funny. Be brave FIL be a hero. ~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~ editted PS.. I did not mean to imply that my grandmother dieing from Breast cancer at 57 is NOT a hero.. She is but in another way... I missed her so bad, and I felt so bad for her modesty in not going for a cure.... But she is a hero, because... in her death, I was determined to make sure I got checked.. and in my first mammo... THEY FOUND CANCER.. and I would have NEVER gotten checked if I hadn't of loved my gramma so much and missed her so much... Get Checked FIL... please... no reason putting a little pride and false modesty away can't help an old man to grow even now.
4 :
I had prostate cancer in 2005 my psa was 4.5 and gleason was 6. I had proton radiation treatments at Loma Linda Universtiy Medical Center in Loma Linda California.. In my opinion it is the very best treatment there is today..It has been over 3 years now..my psa is .01.. I have no cancer.. I get psa tests every six months.. I was never sick or even felt bad one single day during my treatments.. It was like being on a 9 week vacation in southern california.. and Im cured...Proton Radiation is very different from conventional radiation.. in that approximately 90% of the treatment energy is delivered at the exact point needing to be treated. No surrounding body tissue or organs are damanged as with conventional radiation.. therefore you have little to no side effects.. I had -0- side effects during or after my treatments..was not sick or even felt bad and every thing works as before.. its like I never had cancer..The book he has is a good book.. I am assuming its the book written by Robert J. Marckini.. I cant understand him not wanting treatments.. there was nothing to mine.. very simple.. plus medicare and my medicare supplement paid for it...I was only out my room and board while in california hope this helps...if you have any questions, please feel to email me here on yahoo answers.. Also, I will die someday.. sorta think most of us do!!!, but not from prostate cancer.. and from what I have found out Prostate cancer is a very painful way to die.. its gets into your spine and they told me it is one of the most painful deaths there is...If your father in law would like to talk to me about Proton Radiation, I will be glad to share my experience with him.
5 :
Taking the prostate gland out of a man is like taking the breasts off a women and her vagina. Their are many treatments andanswers. If he does not do anything about it, you will see him slowly fade away. Talk to his or your doctor.
6 :
The treatment depends on how bad it is. What is his gleason score? How old is he? There's a lot of questions involved. In older men with a low PSA most doctors watch and wait to see what happens. I had Prostate surgery in December last year. I still have the cancer and the only treatment for me is hormones. This is a temporary fix to slow the growth of the cancer. Normally 12 to 18 months and it stops helping and then it depends on where the cancer went. Some prostate cancers are more aggressive than others. Was he in the Military and did he serve in Vietnam? If he was this is a disability. It's also a disability for Social Security. Good luck.






Read more discussions :