Tuesday, August 24, 2010

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer the dr told him it was a 3 and 6 what does that mean.

my father was diagnosed with prostate cancer the dr told him it was a 3 and 6 what does that mean.?
he is 60 yrs old already has skin cancer the cancer is already in the prostate not going to the prostate
Cancer - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I'm going to guess that the doctor told him it was a 3 of 6 which is probably a cancer staging number. Six being worst case....?
2 :
when my father was diagnosed with cancer they gave him a rating of 2 to 3 which is a scale they use to show how advanced it is, now his number is 4 which means it isnt getting any better as of yet, not sure if they use that number scale for all cancers, my father has lymphoma
3 :
I don't know ask somebody else
4 :
I would think that this the stage that the cancer is in. I can't say for sure, but I know that the Dr. would be more than happy to answer your questions. They understand that the family doesn't always understand the terms that they use. My moms cancer Dr. was very wonderful at answering our questions. Try it, it will help a lot
5 :
They may have been testing his PSA levels. PSA test results report the level of PSA detected in the blood. The test results are usually reported as nanograms of PSA per milliliter (ng/mL) of blood. In the past, most doctors considered PSA values below 4.0 ng/mL as normal. However, recent research found prostate cancer in men with PSA levels below 4.0 ng/mL . Many doctors are now using the following ranges with some variation: 0 to 2.5 ng/mL is low. 2.6 to 10 ng/mL is slightly to moderately elevated. 10 to 19.9 ng/mL is moderately elevated. 20 ng/mL or more is significantly elevated. There is no specific normal or abnormal PSA level. The higher a manĂ¢€™s PSA level, the more likely it is that cancer is present. But because various factors (such as age) can cause PSA levels to fluctuate, one abnormal PSA test does not necessarily indicate a need for other diagnostic tests. When PSA levels continue to rise over time, other tests may be needed. It should be noted that it is common for normal PSA ranges to vary somewhat from laboratory to laboratory.
6 :
They look at the prostate tissue under the microscope and grade two areas- the biggest and second biggest and assign a score from 1-5 with 5 being the worst. The total(9 in your case) gives an idea of how bad the tumor is. Please Wiki for further info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gleason_score
7 :
My father also has prostate cancer it is the PSA levels as stated by "notalonewithcancer" above.
8 :
I had prostate cancer 3 years ago. My PSA was 4.5 and my Gleason was 6. I have an idea the 3-6 your speaking of was his Gleason score.. and that means his cancer is very treatable. If treated properly he has about a 90% survival chance.. at least that is what I was told with a Gleason of 6.. I think it indicates the speed of the growth of the cancer. Also, I had my cancer treated with Proton Radiation.. It is not like regular Radiation.. It has no side effects.. your not sick and you dont end up wearing a diaper because you cant control your bladder.. Surgery and conventional radiation causes this lots of times. I am totally convinced Proton Radiation is the very best Prostate Cancer treatment available to day.. It has little to no side effects and the cure rate is as good if not better than any of the other treatments.. There is a website on line called Proton Bob that your father should read.. he especially needs to read the patient testimonial section.. Bob stands for brotherhood of the balloon.. a balloon is used in the treatment.. Also there is a new book just out that every one diagnosed with Prostate Cancer should read.. it is called You Can Beat Prostate Cancer and was written by Robert J. Marckini. He is a Prostate Cancer survivor... The books tells lots about Prostate Cancer.. but the main thing is that it out lines all of the current treatments available and their pros and cons of each.. Be sure and read the Proton Bob website, especially the testimonals.. If your father can have Proton Radiation, I am totally convinced it is the best treatment available today. No side effects, not sick during, or after the treatments...and about 90 % of the time your completely cured... If your father has any questions, please feel free to email me..and I will be glad to share my experience with him.. I would be glad to vist with him on the phone also.. best of luck. I read some of the anwers above... some indicating the 6 was bad.. they dont know what they are talking about.. so dont get down because of that.. it is very treatable>>





Read more discussions :